Saturday, March 24, 2012

HUMMUS IS YUMMEST

Over spring break, my sister and I struck up a bit of a wager. No eating out (meals, coffee, ice cream, late night Jimmy Johns, etc) until Easter. Challenge accepted. Needless to say I stocked up on groceries as soon as I got back to Waco and in doing so bought more produce than ever. I had seen this recipe for beet hummus a few weeks ago on one of the blogs I stalk daily, A House In The Hills, and was really eager to try it. I'll be honest, beets are way out of my comfort zone but hummus, well hummus is the yummest, so I thought what they hay lets give it a shot. My roommate Chel and I made it last night and let me tell you it did not disappoint! It's delicious with bell peppers, carrots, and blue tortilla chips. Plus it took hardly any time to make and is full of goodness for your body!


You'll need:

- 2 medium sized beets
- 2 tbs of tahini *
- 2 cups of chickpeas
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 small lemon
- 1 tbs of sea salt

* We actually ended up using 3-4 tablespoons because ours was way too thick for our liking.
 And if, like me, you have no idea what tahini is, 
it is a sesame paste that you can find near the peanut butter or organic aisle of well stocked grocery stores!

Making it happen:

Peel and dice beets into cubes then add to a pan with water and simmer until soft. Your food processor will love you for this. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend well. Easy shmeasy! It makes quite a bit, so share the love. Hope you enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment